Saturday, March 13, 2010

First world problems

The internet in Indonesia can be less than stellar so forgive me for not making good on those promises to post pictures. This place in particular is SLOOOOOW so I'm not even going to try. BUT! I will tell you about all the fun I've been having!

So after Ubud, Adam and I hopped on a bus with the intention of reaching the Bromo Tengger Semeru National Park on Java. This place has always interested me, because it is essentially a giant crater with a mountain as well as an active volcano inside of it, surrounded by a sand sea. Overlooking the crater is another giant mountain, Mount Semeru, the tallest in Java. I figure it would make a good hike, and a great stop in East Java.

So we grabbed a few buses here and there, went to Denpasar, then to Gilimanuk, boarded a ferry from Bali to the big island of Java, and drove a while to the town of Probolinggo. From there we managed to find a bus to (what we thought was) the rim of the crater. The whole journey took a grueling 12 hours, on a very squished bus that broke down once. However, we did meet some very excellent locals on the ride.

I have to run and catch a bus to Yokgyakarta now, but I will update a bit later about the Bromo hike, hopefully with pictures! GTG!

No comments:

Post a Comment