Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Malaysia roundup

So Malaysia is done. We never got to see anything on Borneo, but we did scour the peninsular part quite thoroughly.

The highs:

- Excellent bus transportation. In Indonesia, the buses drove me the closest I've been to sheer madness. We had to pay a bit more, but considering the massive chunk of our trip that's spent in transit, this was definitely an acceptable concession.
- Perhentian Islands. Everything about them. The weather, the beach, the scuba, the restaurants, all gorgeous. It was unfathomable that such a perfect slice of paradise could be as uncrowded as it was.
- Scuba diving. Like I said, something I never thought I'd do, but so thankful I did.
- The weather in the Cameron Highlands. A welcome change from the crock pot that was KL.
- All the amazing Indian food. Seriously some of the best I've had in my life, and so cheap.

The lows:

- The price of beer. Same price as back in Canada at times. Kind of made it hard to drink when you knew it made up close to 50% of your daily budget.
- Social repression. Not many people seem to know how to cut loose and have fun. Islam kind of has a lot of people in a chokehold and it would have been nice to see more than just Chinese dudes out on the town at night.
- KL Tower. What a tourist trap! 9 ringgets to play Playstation for 5 minutes in the guise of an "F1 Simulator". BS!
- Bees in Taman Negara. Probably the most intimately I've known bees in my life.
- Red Dragon Backpacker's Hostel in Kuala Lumpur. No idea why it was so big and popular. Boiling hot room with no window, expensive and they put carpet in the shower.
- Durians. The vilest fruit borne from the earth.
- How everything was closed. Petronas Towers, half of the canopy walkway, the National Mosque, and a handful of other things I can't remember.

The meh:

- Georgetown. It was alright, but a lot of the attractions were painfully boring. The best thing to do there honestly was to eat.
- Taman Negara canopy walkway. It was what I expected, but if I had come there just for that, I surely would have been disappointed.

I'm already a good distance into Thailand as you read this, so hopefully I can play catchup in the next few days or so. Malaysia, done! Five more countries to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment